Shadrinsk is the second largest town - in terms of population and industrial output - of the Kurgan Oblast which is a part of the Urals Federal District.
The town is located on the river Iset, a tributary of Tobol.
Shadrinsk was founded in the XVII century when the Russian path breakers began to open up new lands in Siberia and the Far East. Peasants from the northern and central regions of Russia populated the territory protected by the walls of the Shadrinsk fortress.
During the second half of 1941, one of the largest production shops of the Moscow Likhachev Automobile Plant (ZIL) was evacuated to Shadrinsk. After the relocation the facility was given a new name- the Stalin Automobile Plant (ZIS) - that later on became the Shadrinsk Automobile Components Plant (ShAAZ). Today this company - central to the town’s economy - is a member of the UMMC mining and metallurgy holding.
Culture and Education
The Shadrinsk State Pedagogical Institute is well known in the Urals region. Higher education is also offered by a branch of the Tyumen State University and a number of other Russian higher education establishments.
|Regions||Project participants||Investment projects||Consulates and Trade Offices||News and Analysis||About the Project|
© RusBusinessNews, 2009.
All rights reserved.
Establishing a hyperlink to RIA RusBusinessNews is required for using any of the material published on this website.
News and analytical reviews are translated into foreign languages by the TRANSLIT Translation Agency
|«Sum of technologies»®