Tobolsk is the administrative centre of the Tobolsk district of the Tyumen oblast. In XVI - XIX centuries it was considered to be the capital of Siberia, a vast territory that stretches from the Urals to the Pacific Ocean.
Tobolsk is located 247 kilometres north-west of Tyumen at the confluence of the Tobol and the Irtysh rivers.
Tobolsk was founded in 1587. XVII century The town becomes the administrative centre of the Siberian province in XVII century. In the XVIII century in this very town for the first time in Siberia, theatre performances took place, books and magazines were printed, and the first ever secular, church, and garrison schools opened their doors to the east of the Urals. It was also the time when many original local trades began to flourish.
In 1974, the construction of the town's largest petrochemical plant was launched. This is why the petrochemical sector accounts for the largest share of the total industrial output of Tobolsk.
Culture and Education
The Russian Orthodox Church recognizes the town as one of the three major Orthodox Christian centres in Russia alongside Moscow and Saint Petersburg.
There are more than 20 higher education establishments and public schools in this town: the Mendeleyev Tobolsk State Pedagogical Institute, the Industrial Institute of the Tyumen State Oil and Gas University, and the Modern Academy of Liberal Arts.
|Regions||Project participants||Investment projects||Consulates and Trade Offices||News and Analysis||About the Project|
© RusBusinessNews, 2009.
All rights reserved.
Establishing a hyperlink to RIA RusBusinessNews is required for using any of the material published on this website.
News and analytical reviews are translated into foreign languages by the TRANSLIT Translation Agency
|«Sum of technologies»®